There are a few important considerations to keep in mind when you think there could be a possible canine emergency. Start by noticing any changes in your dogs behavior. It can be the first clue. Is your dog throwing up, lethargic, having rapid shallow breathing, showing signs of confusion or exhibiting any strange behavior?
Check your dogs gums. Gums and mucus membrane tissue color can assist you in determining the immediacy of the situation. Are your dogs gums normal which would be a bubble gum pink. Pale or white gums can show anemia, the color yellow can indicate jaundice and blue/gray is a lack of oxygen. Associated with the gums is a capillary refill time. If you raise the upper lip and press your finger on the gum, the color should return within one to two seconds.
In the situation of blue/gray color, your dog could be going into shock. The definition of shock is a lack of adequate oxygen to the body tissues. Shock can range from mild to sever, resulting in collapse, coma and worse death. Your dog can be conscious or unconscious.
Shock takes away the body’s ability to regulate temperature. This condition can happen from a number of things such as an injury, heatstroke, infection or poisoning.
If you should suspect your dog is in shock, the first thing is to take a deep breath and stay calm. Then, get your keys and head for the nearest Veterinary Facility that is open. Keep veterinary information readily available.
I hope this article has sparked an interest in educating yourself about Pet First Aid. You are the advocate for your best friend.